Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

30 letters in 30 days - day 3

Dear Sibling,

I love you.  I was ridiculously happy the day you were born.  I remember as a child, wishing on a star for a sibling.  My mom laughed and said, "fat chance."  I thought she was right, and I was incredibly sad.  All I wanted in this world was a baby sister.

And then, you came along.  I was amazed.  I was so happy and I couldn't wait for the moment you were born.  I was only 11 years old, but I felt very grown up.  Dad called me at school to tell me the moment you were born.  I was in music class.  The phone rang and then the teacher told me to go to the office.  I was a little worried. 

When I walked in the door, everyone in there was looking at me.  I felt very conspicuous.  The secretary caled me over to her desk and told me I had a phone call.  I said, "hello."  Your dad responded.

He just said, "hang on," and then I could hear the phone rattling.  The next sound I heard was crying.  Your beautiful, wonderful crying.  I screamed, probably louder than necessary considering I was in the school's office.  It was the most amazing sound ever.  It was close to the end of the school day, but not close enough for me.  I wanted to get to the hospital immediately to see you.

Now, you are all grown up.  I still think of you as a baby, and yet you are married.  You are only 22 years old, and yet so responsible.  I'm so proud of how smart you are and how you have life together.  You inspire me.

I love you!

Dear Second Sibling,
You were as amazing as the first.  I was so excited to find out I was going to have a second sibling.  Even more excited to find out that this time it was going to be a little boy.

Even as a little boy, it was very clear that you were special.  I don't mean special in a bad way.  You were amazing.  You were so loving, forgiving, and good natured.  You were a little slower than other children, but your love more than made up for that.

As a teenager, I learned that you had Asperger's Syndrome.  That made a lot of sense and seemed to fit you.  It made me love you even more.  I know that life can be challenging for you, and I often wish I could solve all your problems myself.  I want to make you world just a little bit better.

As an adult, you still are the most loving person I know.  You love unconditionally and give fully of yourself.  I want to be like you in so many ways.  I learn so much from you.  I love you dearly.  I hope you get all you want in this world, you deserve it!

No comments: